If you are planning to join as SBI PO, then you need first to undergo the entrance test. The test consists of different sections, including English, which is the most important section that would test your strong vocabulary and comprehension.
Every year, more and more students appear for the SBI PO exam, and the competition is increasing steadily. Appearing for the exam is the part of SBI PO eligibility criteria where the candidate is evaluated based on score and other aspects during the interview session.
In the prelims English exam, there are 30 total questions, 35 objective type questions and 2 descriptive type questions in the main exam. It is vital to prepare well in advance for the SBI PO English section.
Few highlights of the paper
- Both paper 1 and paper 2 comprises of English comprehension, paragraph completion, error finding, para jumbles and spelling correction.
- Every year, questions will be unique and require a basic understanding of English Grammar and vocabulary.
English language syllabus
- Candidate appearing for the exam need to carry basic knowledge of English and useful vocabulary.
- There will be around 4-5 questions in each part of the English section, which the candidate needs to answer in the given timeline.
Tips to prepare for the SBI PO English Language
Make a Reading Habit
It is vital to have a good reading habit. Read newspapers and magazines regularly to get the right idea. Candidate must read the editorial section of the same.
Develop Strong Vocabulary
Vocabulary is the part of the English language section. To develop a good vocab; you need to read novels and other books. Listen to English songs and watch English movies. Whenever you come across a new word, note down so that you can use it while practising and in the exam.
Practice makes the person perfect. So keep practising by reading books, newspaper, communicating in English and other ways. The more you practice, the more you are confident about the exam.
Practising Topic Wise
- Reading Comprehension
For this, you need to keep reading books and other essential materials. Stick to what is mentioned in the passage and answer the same. Keep reading comprehension from topics like Psychology, Politics, Philosophy, and others. Grammar-
Work on your Grammar by reading books, newspaper, communicating and other ways. While learning Grammar, work on error spotting, sentence correction, phrases and other areas.
- Under the Mock Test
The mock test of each section is critical because it will help you to prepare mentally. Take up previous year question paper and start practising. By undergoing the mock test, you will know where do you lack and how you can perfect yourself in the section.
Preparing for the Cloze Test
Cloze test is ‘Fill in the blanks” and is moderate in SBI PO exam. Under this, the entire passage is given with missing phrases and words, which you have to fill with the right option. To be perfect in this area, you need to practice a lot on how to fill the blanks with the right words.
Preparing for the Para Jumble Questions
In this, there are few sentences given, and the candidate needs to rearrange it so that they can make it the perfect paragraph. There will be moderate to difficult questions. If you have practised well, then you can score well. So make it look perfect-
- Carefully look at the sentences provided and understand it, which will help you to answer quickly.
- Look for the connecting words like “however, furthermore, and other similar terms. This means the sentence will come in the middle order.
- Look for the independent sentence, which is usually the first sentence of the set.
To get the best score in the English section of SBI PO, it is best to practice well in advance. This will not only help in scoring high but also helps in getting confident.